On any given day there are 8-10 dogs roaming the Alpacka factory. It’s only natural that we’d want to make a boat that is perfect to bring your four legged companion on your adventures. The Explorer 42 is lightweight and easy to paddle for one person but with extra space in the bow, which makes it our best boat for bringing kids and pets on adventures. It’s also about half the weight of carrying two single packrafts, which makes it a great choice for two adults doing long traverses that involve shorter days on the water or adventure races that require you to carry your boats for long distances.
The Explorer 42 is built with our 11.7-inch diameter Cargo Hull, which is easier to paddle for one person than the larger diameter Cargo Hulls in the Oryx and Forager. The Cargo Hull features our center panel stern and our late rise bow, which maximize stability, buoyancy, leg room, and cargo capacity. The Explorer 42 seating system allows the rear paddler to slot their feet on either side of the seat for better control while the front paddler sits on the forward third of the seat. A backband can also be added for the front paddler.
- Manufacturing: Made to Order in Mancos, Colorado
- Shape: Cargo Hull
- Tube Diameter: 11.7-inch
- Valve: Temper assist valve for inflation and deflation
- Attachments: 4 bow grab loops, 2 stern grab loops, 2 rear strap plates, and 2 forward strap plates
- Seating: 3/4 length Explorer 42 seat, Optional front passenger backband
- Build Configurations: Open
- Cargo Fly: Optional (roll-top internal dry bags sold separately)
- Materials: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon hull and 840-denier ballistic nylon floor (Made in USA). Custom Vectran upgrade options available
- Includes: Inflation Bag, Stuff Sack, and Basic Repair Kit
Sizing and Specifications
|Exterior Length ||279cm |
|Exterior Width ||97cm |
|Interior Length ||157cm |
|Interior Width ||38cm |
|Rear Cockpit Length ||104cm |
|Front Cockpit Length ||71cm |
|Weight w/o Cargo Fly* ||3.63kg |
|Weight with Cargo Fly* ||3.74kg |
|Packed Size** ||48x19cm |
|Max Capacity*** ||272kg |
*Max Capacity is the maximum total weight (paddlers and cargo) that the boat can reasonably carry in flatwater under ideal conditions. Actual capacity for any given trip will vary widely based on the paddler’s skill and water conditions. Please review our weight carrying capacity guide for further details.
**Weight includes all components except inflation bag, repair kit, and internal dry bags for Cargo Fly.
**Packed size is a reference measurement based on folding each lengthwise edge of the boat to the center and rolling from the bow. There are many other methods of rolling and folding the boats that will result in a different packed size that may be more or less efficient for packing depending on the situation.
Open: The Explorer 42 is available only in the open build configuration. It is not available with spray decks due to the variance between one and two paddlers. It is not available in a self-bailing configuration because the seating configuration necessary to fit two people in the boat will result in too much water pooling in the seating area.
Cargo Fly Zipper:The Cargo Fly is the ultimate packraft gear storage solution featuring an airtight zipper installed in the stern of the boat to allow you to load your gear inside the tubes. The system provides drier and more secure gear storage and improved paddling performance due to a lower center of gravity. The Cargo Fly is perfect for expeditions, whitewater performance, and keeping your gear dry in any conditions. Roll top internal dry bags are an optional upgrade on all Explorer 42 models with a Cargo Fly. The dry bags clip in place along each side of the tubes with a side release buckle and allow for better organization and weight balance than placing the contents of your pack loose inside the Cargo Fly. They also act as additional balanced air chambers to make it easier to get to shore in the event of a puncture.
- Standard: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon, single side laminated with pigmented polyurethane film (Made in USA)
- Vectran: High performance liquid crystal polymer yarn (five times stronger than steel) in 200-denier and 400-denier options. Higher tear strength and rigidity than nylon, but more susceptible to scrapes and pinholes. 400-denier Vectran is heavier and bulkier than standard fabric. Four week minimum lead time. Made in USA.
- Custom Multi-Color: Custom Multi Color means that you pick the standard fabric in colors of your choice, subject to availability and a minimum 4-week lead time. If you place a custom multi-color order, please read and follow these Custom Multi-Color Ordering Instructions.
Floor: Proprietary 840-denier ballistics nylon, laminated on both sides with polyurethane film (Made in USA).
Seat: 200-denier oxford nylon, with single side polyurethane laminate (Made in USA).
Accessories: All grab loops and similar attachments are manufactured in house in Mancos, Colorado out of scrap floor materials and USA made webbing. Small parts and fasteners are Made in USA, when available, and sourced from industry leaders like Duraflex, YKK, and ITW-Nexus.