Alpacka Raft was born out of a 700-mile traverse of Alaska’s Brooks Range guided only by a topo-map. Expeditions are in our blood. More than just a trip, an expedition means testing your limits, pushing into the unknown, and sometimes enduring a bit of suffering on the way. Weight is at a premium, but so is performance. To be successful, you make choices between nice to have, and need to have.
The go-to packraft for explorers for nearly two decades has been the Classic, but even the gold standard can be improved with new innovations. With the Expedition, we’ve elevated the backcountry packraft platform to a new level of performance, comfort, and efficiency for epic backcountry adventures.
The Expedition is built with the same high-performance Rally Hull found on the Wolverine, but we minimized the weight and bulk with a classic seat bottom, foam backband, and lightweight carrying handles. Keeping in line with its epic backcountry adventure DNA, the Expedition comes standard with a Cargo Fly with roll-top internal dry bags, and either a Whitewater Deck or Removeable Whitewater Deck. If you want something a little more whitewater capable but not the full outfitting of the Whitewater Series, you can add thigh straps now or get them retrofit in the future.
- Manufacturing: Made to Order in Mancos, Colorado
- Shape: Rally Hull
- Tube Diameter: 10.6-inch
- Fit: Performance (See sizing and specifications)
- Valve: Temper assist valve for inflation and deflation
- Attachments: 4 bow grab loops, 2 stern grab loops, 2 lightweight carrying handles, 2 double D-Rings, and 2 strap plates
- Seating: Classic Seat Bottom and Adjustable Foam Backband
- Build Configurations: Whitewater Deck or Removable WW Deck
- Cargo Fly: Standard including roll-top internal dry bags
- Materials: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon hull and 840-denier ballistic nylon floor (Made in USA). Custom Multi-Color and Vectran upgrade options available.
- Includes: Inflation Bag, Stuff Sack, and Basic Repair Kit
►How to Choose Your Boat Size
The chart below shows our recommended size based on your sit length and the Expedition’s fit profile. To determine your sit length, sit against a wall with your legs flat (wearing your preferred paddling shoes) and measure the distance from the wall to your heels. The Expedition is sized for a performance fit, meaning that a typical paddler in the recommended size can press their feet against the bow when straightening their legs which provides better control than a relaxed fit and more all-day comfort than the whitewater fit. You can size up or down for a more performance or relaxed fit. We recommend sizing down or getting a whitewater foot brace if you are going to add thigh straps.
| ||Small ||Medium ||Large |
|Paddler Sit Length ||84-102cm ||91-109cm ||99-117cm |
|Exterior Length ||231cm ||239cm ||246cm |
|Exterior Width ||91cm ||91cm ||91cm |
|Interior Length ||109cm ||117cm ||124cm |
|Width at Hips ||38cm ||38cm ||38cm |
|Max Capacity* ||159kg ||159kg ||159kg |
*Max Capacity is the maximum total weight (paddlers and cargo) that the boat can reasonably carry in flatwater under ideal conditions. Actual capacity for any given trip will vary widely based on the paddler’s skill and water conditions. Please review our weight carrying capacity guide for further details.
| ||Whitewater Deck (WW) ||Removable Whitewater Deck (WR) |
| ||Weight ||Packed Size ||Weight ||Packed Size |
|Small ||3.60kg ||43x18cm ||3.69kg ||43x18cm |
|Medium ||3.66kg ||43x19cm ||3.74kg ||43x19cm |
|Large ||3.71kg ||43x20cm ||3.80kg ||43x20cm |
*Weight includes all components except inflation bag, repair kit, and internal dry bags for Cargo Fly.
**Packed size is a reference measurement based on folding each lengthwise edge of the boat to the center and rolling from the bow. There are many other methods of rolling and folding the boats that will result in a different packed size that may be more or less efficient for packing depending on the situation.
Whitewater Deck: The most popular option, the standard Whitewater Deck is our driest and warmest configuration for the Expedition. It is ideal for all water types in cool climates and the highest performance option for whitewater. The Whitewater Deck features a large kayak style cockpit, one-piece pex coaming, and an ultralight secure fitting spray skirt with shoulder straps.
Removable WW Deck: The Removable WW Deck features the same cockpit as the standard Whitewater Deck, but with a perimeter zipper for converting to an open boat for more relaxing days. The Removable WW Deck maximizes versatility for the broadest range of paddling conditions. The standard WW deck is a drier option, and a better choice for cold water and extended whitewater.
Cargo Fly Zipper: Our Cargo Fly internal storage system comes standard on the Expedition and includes roll-top dry bags. The Cargo Fly features an airtight zipper installed in the stern of the boat to allow you to store your gear inside the tubes. The system provides drier and more secure gear storage and improved paddling performance due to a lower center of gravity. The included roll-top dry bags clip in place along each side of the tubes with a side release buckle and allow for better organization and weight balance than placing the contents of your pack loose inside the Cargo Fly. They also act as additional balanced air chambers to make it easier to get to shore in the event of a puncture.
- Standard: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon, single side laminated with pigmented polyurethane film (Made in USA)
- Vectran: High performance liquid crystal polymer yarn (five times stronger than steel) in 200-denier and 400-denier options. Higher tear strength and rigidity than nylon, but more susceptible to scrapes and pinholes. 400-denier Vectran is heavier and bulkier than standard fabric. Four week minimum lead time. Made in USA.
- Custom Multi-Color: Custom Multi Color means that you pick the standard fabric in colors of your choice, subject to availability and a minimum 4-week lead time. If you place a custom multi-color order, please read and follow these Custom Multi-Color Ordering Instructions.
Floor: Proprietary 840-denier ballistics nylon, laminated on both sides with polyurethane film (Made in USA).
Seat: 200-denier oxford nylon, with single side polyurethane laminate (Made in USA).
Accessories: All grab loops and similar attachments are manufactured in house in Mancos, Colorado out of scrap floor materials and USA made webbing. Small parts and fasteners are Made in USA, when available, and sourced from industry leaders like Duraflex, YKK, and ITW-Nexus.