When it comes to finding peace and tranquility on the water, there’s nothing quite like the experience of paddling a classic canoe at sunrise when the fog is just beginning to lift off the water. Coming in at under 11 pounds, the Oryx provides that same experience in a backcountry and travel setting. With the Cargo Fly internal storage system standard, it’s also built to take all of your gear for a multi-week expedition on long flatwater rivers.
The Oryx is narrower and longer than the raft inspired Forager and features two specialized ergonomic seats that allow the paddlers to sit upright like a classic canoe. The high seating position is ideal for all day seating comfort, putting in miles, and relaxing while fishing or wildlife watching. The Oryx is also our fastest flatwater boat hull. Experienced whitewater canoeists will be able to run up to Class II+ whitewater with ease in the Oryx, but the Forager is a much better multi-person whitewater packraft.
Due to the seating configuration, the Oryx is best paddled with a canoe style paddle. However, it can be paddled by a single stern paddler with a kayak paddle so that the front paddler can fish, take pictures, make lunch, etc. Therefore, we recommend the Aquabound Shred-Apart paddle with the Oryx, with the 220cm version being preferred.
- Manufacturing: Made to Order in Mancos, Colorado
- Shape: Cargo Hull (pat. pend.)
- Tube Diameter: 13.1-inch
- Valve: Temper assist valve for inflation and deflation
- Attachments: 4 bow grab loops, 2 stern grab loops, 4 single D-rings, and 1 bow handle
- Seating: Custom fit mushroom seat for rear paddler and touring seat for front paddler
- Build Configurations: Open
- Cargo Fly: Standard (roll-top internal dry bags sold separately)
- Materials: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon hull and 840-denier ballistic nylon floor (Made in USA). Custom Vectran upgrade options available
- Includes: Inflation Bag, Stuff Sack, and Basic Repair Kit
Sizing and Specifications
|Exterior Length ||328cm |
|Exterior Width ||104cm |
|Interior Length ||188cm |
|Stern Interior Width ||39cm |
|Bow Interior Width ||36cm |
|Weight* ||4.90kg |
|Packed Size** ||48x21cm |
|Max Capacity*** ||363kg |
*Weight includes all components except inflation bag, repair kit, and internal dry bags for Cargo Fly.
**Packed size is a reference measurement based on folding each lengthwise edge of the boat to the center and rolling from the bow. There are many other methods of rolling and folding the boats that will result in a different packed size that may be more or less efficient for packing depending on the situation.
***Max Capacity is the maximum total weight (paddlers and cargo) that the boat can reasonably carry in flatwater under ideal conditions. Actual capacity for any given trip will vary widely based on the paddler’s skill and water conditions. Please review our weight carrying capacity guide for further details.
Open Touring: The Oryx is available only in the open touring build configuration. It is not available with spray decks or self bailing configurations due to the seating system.
Cargo Fly Zipper:Our Cargo Fly internal storage system comes standard on the Oryx. Extra-large roll top internal dry bags may be purchased separately. The Cargo Fly features an airtight zipper installed in the stern of the boat to allow you to store your gear inside the tubes. The system provides drier and more secure gear storage and improved paddling performance due to a lower center of gravity.
- Standard: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon, single side laminated with pigmented polyurethane film (Made in USA)
- Vectran: High performance liquid crystal polymer yarn (five times stronger than steel) in 200-denier and 400-denier options. Higher tear strength and rigidity than nylon, but more susceptible to scrapes and pinholes. 400-denier Vectran is heavier and bulkier than standard fabric. Four week minimum lead time. Made in USA.
- Custom Multi-Color: Custom Multi Color means that you pick the standard fabric in colors of your choice, subject to availability and a minimum 4-week lead time. If you place a custom multi-color order, please read and follow these Multi-Color Ordering instructions.
Floor: Proprietary 840-denier ballistics nylon, laminated on both sides with polyurethane film (Made in USA).
Seating: 200-denier oxford nylon and 210-denier high count nylons, with proprietary polyurethane laminate films (Made in USA).
Accessories: All grab loops and similar attachments are manufactured in house in Mancos, Colorado out of scrap floor materials and USA made webbing. Small parts and fasteners are Made in USA, when available, and sourced from industry leaders like Duraflex, YKK, and ITW-Nexus.