Adventure Racing is all about speed and efficiency. On the one hand, the boat has to be light enough to not slow you down when you are carrying it on overland stages. On the other hand, any extra speed that you can maintain on the water is critical. The first generation Gnu (introduced in 2012) and the longer second generation Gnu (introduced in 2017) were extremely light for a full two person packraft, but the kneeling position was challenging for extended paddling stages especially when following long stages of running or biking.
Enter the 2019 Gnu, which features the same hull shape as the Oryx canoe but utilizes a long, inflated center seat to provide a keel and allow both paddlers to sit with their legs extended and feet below the hips. This is the optimal position for maintaining power and efficiency over long distances with a kayak paddle. The higher volume hull also produces less draft, which further increases paddling efficiency. The top speed of the Gnu is not noticeably faster than the prior versions, but it is much easier to maintain over distance which can dramatically reduce stage times.
While the Gnu is optimized for most adventure racing courses, the Forager is a better option for courses that are mostly whitewater and the Explorer 42 is a better option for courses with very short paddling sections that require you to carry your boats for long distances.
- Manufacturing: Made to Order in Mancos, Colorado
- Hull Design: Cargo
- Tube Diameter: 13.1-inch
- Valve: Temper assist valve for inflation and deflation
- Attachments: 4 bow grab loops, 2 stern grab loops, 2 single D-rings, and 1 bow handle
- Seating: Inflatable center keel seat for two sitting paddlers
- Build Configurations: Open
- Cargo Fly: Optional (roll-top internal dry bags sold separately)
- Materials: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon hull and 840-denier ballistic nylon floor (Made in USA). Custom Vectran upgrade options available
- Includes: Inflation Bag, Stuff Sack, and Basic Repair Kit
Sizing and Specifications
|Exterior Length ||328cm |
|Exterior Width ||102cm |
|Interior Length ||188cm |
|Stern Interior Width ||36cm |
|Bow Interior Width ||30cm |
|Weight w/o Cargo Fly* ||4.82kg |
|Weight with Cargo Fly* ||4.93kg |
|Packed Size** ||46x22cm |
|Max Capacity*** ||363kg |
*Weight includes all components except inflation bag, repair kit, and internal dry bags for Cargo Fly.
**Packed size is a reference measurement based on folding each lengthwise edge of the boat to the center and rolling from the bow. There are many other methods of rolling and folding the boats that will result in a different packed size that may be more or less efficient for packing depending on the situation.
***Max Capacity is the maximum total weight (paddlers and cargo) that the boat can reasonably carry in flatwater under ideal conditions. Actual capacity for any given trip will vary widely based on the paddler’s skill and water conditions. Please review our weight carrying capacity guide for further details.
Racing:The Gnu is available only in an open racing build configuration. It is not available with spray decks or self bailing configurations due to the seating system.
Cargo Fly Zipper: Our Cargo Fly internal storage system is optional on the Gnu. Extra-large roll top internal dry bags may be purchased separately. The Cargo Fly features an airtight zipper installed in the stern of the boat to allow you to store your gear inside the tubes. The system provides drier and more secure gear storage and improved paddling performance due to a lower center of gravity.
- Standard: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon, single side laminated with pigmented polyurethane film (Made in USA)
- Vectran: High performance liquid crystal polymer yarn (five times stronger than steel) in 200-denier and 400-denier options. Higher tear strength and rigidity than nylon, but more susceptible to scrapes and pinholes. 400-denier Vectran is heavier and bulkier than standard fabric. Four week minimum lead time. Made in USA.
- Custom Multi-Color: Custom Multi Color means that you pick the standard fabric in colors of your choice, subject to availability and a minimum 4-week lead time. If you place a custom multi-color order, please read and follow these Custom Multi-Color Ordering Instructions.
Floor: Proprietary 840-denier ballistics nylon, laminated on both sides with polyurethane film (Made in USA).
Seating: 200-denier oxford nylon and 210-denier high count nylons, with proprietary polyurethane laminate films (Made in USA).
Accessories: All grab loops and similar attachments are manufactured in house in Mancos, Colorado out of scrap floor materials and USA made webbing. Small parts and fasteners are Made in USA, when available, and sourced from industry leaders like Duraflex, YKK, and ITW-Nexus.